Wednesday, September 30, 2009

October

My Halloween Pumpkins, 2008


October is here!
October has to be one of my very favorite months.  I love the chilly weather so I can wear my warmest sweaters again. Hockey season gets underway.  Canadian Thanksgiving is just around the corner and Halloween not far behind.  October brings pumpkins, fall festivals, blustery winds, and those glorious autumn leaves!  What's not to love?!?


Do: Plant your spring-flowering bulbs.
Why? Because in many areas bulbs must be planted before the hard frost arrives.  Garden centers are well stocked with tulip, daffodil, crocus and hyacyinth bulbs right now so shop early for the best selection at great prices and have a show-stopping display of flowers come springtime. 


Go: To a local farm.
Why? It's SO much fun this time of year!  Many local farms offer weekend hayrides (very inexpensive and fun for kids of all ages - adults, too!)  There's cider and cocoa to sample, corn mazes to explore, and all of those gorgeous pumpkins to pick!  Let the kids have an old-fashioned family outing to the pumpkin patch to pick out their very own! 


Get: Your Halloween candy for the trick-or-treaters and your costumes.
Why? Halloween will be here before you know it and it's good to be prepared early (after all, no one wants to have to choose from the lousy leftovers). While you're at it, pick up some extra batteries for your flashlights.


Watch: Scary and not-so-scary Halloween movies
Why?: From the macabe to the adorable, there are Halloween movies to suit every member of your household.  Starting October 19th, ABC Family will be airing their annual 13 days of Halloween favorites. Check your local listings for details. Don't like any of the choices on TV?  Stop by the local video section and pick up some Halloween classics like, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

Pop some buttery popcorn, roast some pumpkin seeds, turn out the lights, light the jack-o-lantern and get ready for some thrills!


Wishing you all, a memorable, safe and fun-filled month of October!
 

6 comments:

  1. Oooooo, great ideas. I love October!!!!!

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the darling pumpkin!

    I barely got my autumn stuff out in September, I am surely hoping I get my halloween stuff out sooN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jack o lantern is great! How clever! And I love lists....great ideas! Thanks! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your BLACK CAT! Thanks for joining me at Applejack Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your BLACK CAT! Thanks for joining me at Applejack Lane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that pumpkin!! Thanks for visiting my blog and thank you for following my blog. :) I am going to follow yours too! You have a great blog and I'm looking forward to reading more of it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I love hearing from you!